Friday, September 11, 2009

Banishment



"Banishment killed most victims in the past societies, when the world beyond their little village or town or city was harsh, when survival could not be purchased without the coin of cooperation. No graver punishment was possible then. It was humans' structure of needing company around them that when one was cast out, it would incur devastation upon that person. Banished victims crumpled into themselves, abandoning all skills that could serve to sustain them. They withered and died..." (Modified from Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson)

As I read this excerpt, I knew my blog title was no longer valid. "Coming back home" has spiraled downwards to "Exile from Home". In the past, though being stray, at least I knew there was home. Now, home has lost its meaning to me. Warmth in home, support in home, home sweet home... These phrases are meaningless to me.

Initially, I was still OK with it. The transition in my worklife and the need to find shelter above my head help keep me occupied. They kept me away from fully realising the implications. Now when I am finally and have some time for myself, I wonder where I am headed next. A large part of our life is attached to our homes, be it whether we like it or not. To rip away "home" from a person is tantamount to ripping a large part of life from him or her.

If I persist in these negative thoughts, I would most likely also "crumple into myself, abandon my skills that could serve to sustain me, wither and die..."

No. Banishment has something in store for me. Total freedom. Freedom to go forth and do what I want to really do. It is with grieve that I have to leave home, but it is also the chance to be a full-fledged butterfly from the safety of the cocoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment